Saturday, January 17, 2015

Blackened Tuna Steaks with a Simple Beet Salsa

So, I turned 31 this year and I'm feeling pretty dandy! Honestly, this year has been a roller coaster of good, bad, and in-between. First I turned 30. Second, I birthed my first child! Who has proven to own the strongest, most stubborn personality I've experienced come from such a small human (and I love it!). Third, new home that the little family and I love. Fourth, I switched jobs. This was so important. I was very happy and comfortable at my former employment, but in the end making $38,500 a year at my age, with a family, and in New Jersey just isn't feasible. It's truly sad how much money governs our daily choices - positively and negatively. I came from a childhood where I never wanted or needed for anything. Money wasn't an issue and I lived in a form of blissful ignorance well through high school. No 'mo, no 'mo! So, the summer of 2014 I started my search for new employment and was lucky enough to find a job in the beginning of October that would boost my income and help the husband and I exist within a budgeted, but comfortable environment (damn you school loans...damn...you...haha). Anyway, again, I turned 31 this week and my husband made the family a fancy dinner in celebration.

Oh. And he also created this (while off, with the infant, and cleaned the house, and prepared the meal...sorry, I had to brag about him for a moment...moment over.)

Recipe Deets

3 Wild Tuna Steak Filets
Fresh Thyme (to taste)
Dried Italian spice mix (to taste)
Sea Salt (to taste)
Smoked Paprika (to taste)
Zip Lock bag

Salsa
3 beets (skins removed and chopped into cubes)
Fresh Parsley
Sea Salt (to taste)
1/2 cup chopped scallions

- Make salsa
- Heat pan on medium/high, spray with oil, and add scallions for approximately 3-4 minutes
- Add beets and cover on medium/low for 10-15 minutes until soft
- While cooking beets, in a ziplock bag add all spice ingredients for Tuna
- Place each individual Tuna steak in ziplock bag and cover with spices
- Prepare pan
- Spray large pan with oil and heat on medium/high
- As the pan is warming, uncover beets and through parsley and sea salt onto the salsa - cover and place heat on low
- Once large pan is warm, add all three Tuna Steaks
- Cook each side for 3 minutes then transfer to dishes and serve with salsa

Feel free to add baked vegetables (like we did), salad, mashed potatoes, or whatever!

Voila! Easy peasy husband fancy-schmance birthday din!

No comments:

Post a Comment