Monday, August 4, 2014

Gluten Free, Vegan Zucchini Cupcakes

My mother purchases fresh zucchini, tomatoes, and onions from whom she calls "the little old man down the street." Essentially, he's a rather small Italian man that has an equally small garden, which he tends with his tiny hands, and then sells his product out of a mini-garden stand. It's all very adorable, you see?

Anyway, my mother is his biggest customer and tends to over-purchase said zucchini, thus it ending up in my  home. Here's the catch: Rick (husband) and Asa (step-daughter) truly dislike zucchini, and while I dig it, I'm not a huge fan where I could consume mass amounts of the soft, semi-tasteless vegetable. Here's where the cupcakes come in: Operation Trick Spouse & Step-Daughter With Disguised Desserts.
It was a Sunday when I sort of lazily thought, why not just add zucchini to my already kinda awesome cupcake recipe and throw some cream cheese frosting on top? So, that's just what I did, and, it worked! *Applause*

Recipe Deets

Cupcakes
1 1/2 Gluten free flour
1 cup Shredded/chopped zicchini
1/2 tbsp Baking powder
Dash of cinnamon to taste
Dash of salt
1 Flax egg
2/3 cup Agave
1/2 cup coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla extract

Set oven to 360°
- Combine all dry ingredients...stir
- Add all wet ingredients...stirrrrr
- Throw in a greased muffin pan and bake for approximately 15 minutes or until a toothpick pulls out clean, let cool on a wire rack before icing.

Icing
1/2 cup of Smart Balance butter or vegan butter of choice
6 ounces Tofutti cream cheese
2 cups confectioners sugar (eesh, right?)
2 tsp vanilla extract

- Blend until smooth and place in 'fridge until you're ready to apply to the cupcakes

Blam-o!

No comments:

Post a Comment