Monday, August 4, 2014

First Foods: Apple Sauce

My 5 month old daughter is somewhat of a picky eater. Scratch that, she pretends she is a picky eater. Any new puree we introduce her to is met with a face of pure distaste and utter disgust, followed by an apparently uncontrollable tremor which erupts abruptly and travels throughout her body. It's suffice to say that she can be a tad bit dramatic.
In the beginning, oh about a month ago, I used to become quickly discouraged and sort of took her reaction as a fault of my own doing, as if I couldn't create for her the most amazing, tasty, stupendous baby puree on the planet! Two weeks pass, and I know the routine all too well. Drama-baby is always present on Day One of a new taste. Fine by me little Miss! I'm on to your tricks...

Now for the recipe! I ate hoards of apples during my pregnancy, one may say an entire apple grove was consumed over the course of 39 weeks, so what better homemade puree to create for my budding bambino than some applesauce??

Recipe Deets

5 apples of choice (peeled and cut, I used Golden Delicious)
1 tbsp of fresh lemon juice
a dash of cinnamon
1 cup water

- Throw your diced apple into a medium pot with about 1/2 cup of water and lemon juice.
- Cover and allow to come to a boil
- Reduce heat to medium high and continue to stir every so often until tender
- Add your cinnamon
- Use a food processor or hand blender to puree until smooth - continue to add water until mixture is safe for babies!

Easy Peasy!

No comments:

Post a Comment